02 May 2010

Surface Level: Some Oil was Spilled

I love watching the Sunday morning political shows. Today's biggest (and scariest) topic was the oil "spill." Here are some random things that happened on the show...and went through my mind.
  • "We're dealing with this on the surface." --some BP exec. Truer words were never spoken.
  • How can this be called a "spill?" When you spill something, you say "oops" and clean it up. 200,000 gallons of oil per day (or more) is not quite an "oops."
  • This could truly decimate (environmentally and economically) a big chunk of the South.
  • Why are we relying on BP to solve the problem that they created?
  • In becoming all riled up about this, I am participating in deep irony. I whine and complain about this "spill" and our oil-based economy, but then I drive and drive and drive.
  • In our quest to "harvest" the oil (a non-renewable resource), we will likely destroy the seafood industry (a renewable resource) in much of the Gulf.
  • The long-term effects of this "spill" will long outlive those of Hurricane Katrina (except for those who lost people in the storm, of course).
  • The conservative view is that this "spill" is collateral damage to our economic system.
  • The liberal view is that oil is evil, so let's get into some other type of energy (while maintaining our level of consumption).
  • Are there any other options?
  • As I often do, I was thinking a lot of Wendell Berry. I was thinking of Jayber Crow watching his town and state move forward and "progress."
  • Is progress a myth?
I took a nap after lunch.

No comments: